Marketers might continue to hail content marketing “King,” but that doesn’t mean this powerful strategy won’t continue to evolve.
In fact, it’s changing every single day.
As a business owner, you have to keep up with the constant changes if you want to use this strategy to grow your business. Problem is… that’s not exactly easy.
What worked yesterday won’t work tomorrow. It’s frustrating, overwhelming, and discouraging (but it’s also kinda fun… at least for self-proclaimed marketing writing nerds like me). You’re focused on a million and one other things in your business. You don’t have time to figure out what’s working and what’s “old-school” when it comes to content marketing.
How the hell can you keep up with it all?
Table of Contents
Sometimes, oversimplification works. It breaks away the noise and clutter so you can clear your mind and figure out exactly what you need.
Content marketers are great about creating a lot of noise about what should be a straightforward strategy.
In an effort to spare you the complex details (so you can focus on new age strategies without wanting to throw yourself in a flooded Arizona wash so that Calgon can take you far, far, far away from all the mess) here are the 10 new age rules to content marketing that you need to know.
1. Don’t just find your voice. Have a personality and let it shine.
2. Sprinkle your content with keywords, but don’t make them your main focus.
3. Get visual. Let your words come through in multiple formats.
4. Say your piece. Then ask for and encourage a response from your audience.
5. Headlines are probably the five to ten most important words on any piece of content.
6. Spread the love. Talk, engage, and interact with other people’s content too.
7. Build upon and piece together old pieces of content. Link to timeless pieces you wrote awhile back.
8. Can’t find something to write about? Use current events as inspiration.
9. Don’t lurk in the shadows. It’s creepy. Be open, transparent, and authentic. Give the world the REAL you.
10. Don’t let people read and run. Use your content to serve your end business goal.
Ready to kick ass, take names, and grow your business? These rules might seem basic… until you put them into action. What it all boils down to is this: Content marketing needs authenticity, personality, and value to help your business come out on top.
Did you like these rules? Share the image of your favorite one!
About the author: Kimberly Crossland
Kimberly Crossland has an unnatural obsession with marketing and wordsmithing. She spends her days creating content that inspires people to click, share, and buy. Get more copywriting and content marketing tips by signing up for her email list at KimberlyCrossland.com
Join me on kimberlycrossland.com
This article was first published by Kimberly Crossland