The utter audacity to call yourself a writer! Now that takes cojones. Writers are born with an acute sensitivity to the human condition (in this way, they are “chosen”) and then they are self-made through reading, studying and, well, writing (then, rewriting). You must “invent” yourself as a writer. To think that you can play with words enough to massage them into something interesting and entertaining (and in advertising, sell something at the same time) requires a certain insouciant naiveté. And at the same time, it requires a willful dedication to language and style as well as devout discipline to practice the craft daily.
Writers are a rare breed, like southpaw pitchers in baseball. I’ve placed more writers than any other type of talent — hundreds and hundreds of them. I don’t know why. Maybe because the good ones are so rare. I’ve noticed an alarming de-emphasis of writing in the advertising industry in the past decade. I’m not sure that’s a result of the declining literacy of today’s audiences or the slow extinction of the breed providing less written content (or both). But, it’s almost odd to see a “writer’s campaign” today. Everything is so visually driven — hinging on a “concept” (usually shock value or a slapstick gag — like the Snickers Betty Whitespot).
I’m not just referring to the Print medium. It’s also TV, Radio (how can radio be so poorly written and dependent on cliched sound-bite gags?) online and outdoor (all you have to write is 7 words). I’m also not necessarily referring to a lot of body copy or words. Take the Google Super Bowl spot — it was a delightful narrative; a coming of age story allegorical to all Google users (that would be everyone with a computer and an internet connection). Not one spoken word, just three and four word “googles” [Google Super Bowl Spot]. And I’m also not referring to nostalgicNeil French/David Ogilvy exhaustive Print tomes drawing upon Noel Coward drawing-room humor. But more along the lines of the recent Avis “The Other Car” television campaign Avis \”The Other Car\”. Brilliant. These days, a writer’s campaign sticks out like a boner in a lesbian bar.
Before I forget, just a second while I digress on radio. It’s not going away. People drive to and from work — most of America does (check out the HOV lane). Yes, the dork in the Beamer has Sirius — but most of America listens to the radio. Every day. Even with iPods and iPhones — radio remains a viable medium. I can’t think of a better way for an advertising writer to prove they can write than to author an entertaining and sustainable radio campaign. Think Tom Bodett. The Folgers Coffee Couple. Molson. I know as a fact that agencies discourage radio from their clients’ media mix because they can’t fulfill the creative. I once sent a young writer to interview with Lee Clow in Venice. He turned the job down and subsequently founded a successful radio scriptwriting agency. That’s how rare the skill set is — they don’t need Chiat/Day. As an aside, I listen to 1690AM Atlanta WMLB “The Voice of the Arts”. Stream it into your agency, set it on your laptop at work. It is guaranteed to inspire you and increase your creativity. To stream them in from anywhere: 1690wmlb.com. Don’t trust me, trust your ears.
I’m often asked by writers for assistance in constructing their portfolio. What’s most striking about young writers’ portfolios is the absence of evidence that they can actually write. I visited the Creative Circus not too long ago and reviewed several dozen student portfolios. WHAT ARE THEY TEACHING THEM THERE? Certainly not how to write interesting or entertaining copy. I can’t tell the difference between the copywriters and the art directors. I can’t find the headline (“oh, there isn’t any headline”). The body copy (if there is any) reads as if it were written by Jeff Spicoli. No radio scripts to be found anywhere.
Here are some tips to help guide you in building a writer’s portfolio:
1. Provide examples that you can actually write. Show us you can do more than just think visually in advertising terms. That you are actually a writer, as you purport to be. See the paragraph above. Headlines that inspire, compelling body copy, radio scripts, TV scripts with dialogue. You get it.
2. Provide examples that you can sell something. I recently ran a search for an ECD at one of the Southeast’s largest and best-known agencies. We reviewed a dozen or so candidates’ portfolios. There was a lot of humor (really funny shit), pathos (Goosebump City, near Rineytown), whacked out weirdness (half the stuff we saw we didn’t understand until the 3rd or 4th view). But there was very little selling happening. I am not just referring to price/item dreck retail formulas but basic brand/product/benefit advertising that is interesting and entertaining. Sell me something, dammit.
3. If it’s not great, there’s no place for it. This especially applies to TV. One of the hazards of Digital books (web sites, microsites, links, etc..) is the temptation to over-indulge in your own work. Treat it the same as an actual hard case portfolio. It only takes one mediocre campaign to get someone to click away from your site.
4. Be interesting, but not too cute. Tell us a bit about you WITHOUT actually telling us. Hell, you’re a writer. Figure out a way to make yourself entertaining without trying too hard. Use music, film, theatrics or something topical to augment your work. Don’t overdo it, but using a snippet from an obscure Monkees tune as intro music is a nice touch.
5. Yes, show digital, duh. Everyone shows websites, banners and promos.Very few show cool applications, videos, games and original contentwritten for websites (beyond basic yada “Who We Are” stuff). Live links are okay but remember, they take people AWAY from your site.
6. Order your work so it tells a story. Make it a “book within the book”. Make it a narrative. Leave ‘em laughing or crying.
7. Stay away from spec unless you have nothing else. Sell an ad, man.
8. Be a headline machine. If someone puts 50 cents in, give them a case of headlines. There will always be a place in this business for a headline machine.
9. Radio. See my digression above. This can be spec if you have none produced. You can produce your own on basic Mac apps — like Garage Band. I’m waiting for the young writer to produce a radio campaign for himself — just to show me he can do it.
10. Keep the gimmicks to a minimum. Be interesting and entertaining, not weird. We all know you’re weird — you’re a writer. Don’t rub our nose in it.
I’ll close with some of the infamous CP+B Copy Test. Devised by a writer I placed there about 15 years ago — Bill Wright, employee #28. Bill is now Global ECD at McCann. He noticed some of the same disconcerting trends in young writers that I mention above. So Bill implemented a copy test as part of the hiring regimen at Crispin.
- Give a short, persuasive argument on letting Pluto remain a planet.
- Pen a haiku about prairie dogs.
- Describe toast to a Martian in 50 words or less.
- Describe the color red to a blind person
- “Employees must wash their hands before returning to work” is such a boring sign. It’s ubiquity has rendered it useless (a sobering thought). For all humanity, please rewrite it.
- You might be redneck if:
- Write a really awful pun.
- Match the airline with its hub airport:
- What’s your favorite oxymoron?
- What’s your favorite retronym?
- Write 12 synonyms for the word “Go”.
- Now write 12 antonyms for the same word.
- Extra credit: Diagram the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution.
About the author: Mike Palma
In 2006, Mike launched The Palma Group as a hybrid ad agency headhunting/rainmaking firm which made for big news: http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising/ex-bbdo-atlanta-exec-opens-palma-group-83330. He has helped deliver hundreds of accounts and talented people to clients since.
Frequently on the Internet before the surroundings Jordan 3 “katrina” might be announcement of this replacement are received that modification, Jordan mark will at sale prices connected
marching 8, an exciting new color of the Air Jordan 3. Browsing TAKES all light
and/or black colored design sneakers coming in at $150, component none.
It’s great that you are getting ideas from this paragraph as well
as from our discussion made here.
What’s up it’s me, I am also visiting this web site daily, this web page is truly pleasant and the visitors are genuinely sharing nice thoughts.
I think the admin of this web page is genuinely working hard for his site,
since here every stuff is quality based material.
Perhaps you had a fragmented family and never experienced consistency in your early years.
You are the one that controls your fate and the winning numbers are your fate.
You want the details of some of the games that I watched during
this period of time and you get it.
What i do not understood is if truth be told how you are now not really much more neatly-liked than you may be now.
You’re so intelligent. You understand thus considerably in relation to this subject, produced
me in my opinion imagine it from numerous various angles.
Its like men and women don’t seem to be fascinated except it’s one thing to accomplish with Woman gaga!
Your personal stuffs outstanding. At all times deal with it up!
This could be a single specific of the most beneficial blogs We have ever arrive across on this topic.
In fact Magnificent.
Undeniably imagine that that you stated. Your favorite
justification seemed to be at the web the simplest factor to take into accout
of. I say to you, I definitely get irked at the same time as other folks think
about concerns that they just do not understand about. You controlled to hit
the nail upon the highest as well as defined out the whole thing with no need side effect
, other folks can take a signal. Will likely be again to get more.
Link exchange is nothing else except it is simpl placing the other person’s web site link on your page at appropriate place and other person wijll also do similar in favor of you.
When blowing fans inside the computer, take special care as
excessive pressure can cause over spinning and may
damage bearings or crack a blade. They are not paid unless their
clients get paid which can help reduce the costs of repeat billing.
You can adjust the sensitivity of the motion detector and the volume.
I take pleasure in, result in I discovered just what I used to be having a look for.
You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day.
Backyard plantings can be elaborate, but they do not have to be.
Even adding a few planters, pots or hanging baskets can add flavor to a small backyard and give your landscaping a mini-makeover.
Its like you read my mind! You appear to grasp so much ablut
this, such as you wrote thee ebook in itt or something.
I feel that you could do with a ffew percent to force the message
house a little bit, however other than that, that iis magnificent blog.
An excellsnt read. I will certainly be back.
Your believed is outstanding the situation is anything that not sufficient persons are talking intelligently
Quality content is the important to invite the visitors to pay a
visit the website, that’s what this site is providing.
After matching the exact last name and first name,
then the chart is “pulled” for desired review. This Herbal Viagra brand
is different from most types of sexual enhancement pills because it isn’t required to be taken everyday.
This ensures that the product has passed certain tests for safety, even if it does not guarantee it as 100% safe.
Hello, I would like to subscribe for this web site to take most recent updates, thus where can i do it please help out.
whoah this blog is wonderful i really like studying your articles.
Keep up the good work! You already know, a lot of individuals
are looking around for this info, you can help them greatly.
I always spent my half an hour to read this website’s posts all the time along with a mug of coffee.
This is a very good tip especially to those fresh to
the blogosphere. Short but very precise info… Thanks for sharing this one.
A must read article!